Established in 1982, Bonitas is the second largest medical aid provider in South Africa. As of 2014 its beneficiary base of approximately 649,032 South Africans includes, among others, young employees of blue chip companies such as Nestlé, BHP Billiton and Eskom. Bonitas has a global credit rating of AA- and a solvency ratio of 30.7%.
Who should use this provider?
Bonitas offers a range of value-for-money medical aid options that provides cover for major medical expenses and chronic medication, as well as out-of-hospital benefits. This scheme is an excellent choice for young professionals and growing families.
Bonitas Medical Aid Special Benefits
- Bonitas has a young membership base, with an average beneficiary age of 30.6 years; this translates into lower than average annual increases in members’ contributions.
- Bonitas has a network of 4,500 contracted doctors who provide premium healthcare at fixed costs, resulting in fewer member co-payments.
- Bonitas provides Oncology Management and Hospital & Medicine Management programmes, to provide members with support and ensure effective management of costs.
- Lasik eye surgery, dentistry and optometry are covered by select Bonitas products.
- Any unused funds in members’ savings account are carried over with interest to the following year.